The Data Units support Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) and Common Core State Standards (CCSS). For CCSS, these data units support learning in both Mathematics and English Language Arts.
Science and Engineering Practices
- Asking questions (science) and defining problems (engineering).
- Developing and using models.
- Analyzing and interpreting data.
- Obtaining, evaluating, and communicating information.
- Cause and effect
- Scale, proportionality, and quantity
- Systems and system models
- Energy and matter
- Structure and function
- Stability and change
Core Disciplinary Ideas
- Life Sciences. LS2. Ecosystems: Interactions, energy and dynamics
- Earth and Space Sciences. ESS2. Earth's systems
- MP3. Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- MP4. Model with mathematics.
Measurement and Data
- Represent and interpret data.
CCSS ENGLISH LANGUAGE ARTS
Science and Technical Subjects, Grade 6-8 (standards for Grade 9-12 are similar)
- Craft and Structure. Determine the meaning of symbols, key terms, and other domain-specific words and phrases as they are used in a specific scientific or technical context.
- Integration of Knowledge and Ideas. Integrate quantitative or technical information expressed in words in a text with a version of that information expressed visually (e.g., in a flowchart, diagram, model, graph, or table).
- Range of Reading and Level of Text Complexity. Read and comprehend science/technical texts.